Monday, January 4, 2010

The Blessing of Staycation

Yep, it's an urban dictionary kind of word, not high English. No, sir. Of course, the activity it describes isn't an example of lofty living, either...unless you reconfigure how you define lofty living. Other countries have cornered the market on the idea already, otherwise Americans wouldn't quip about how we need a siesta or an all-day happy hour or an escape to...well, anywhere they have staycation built into their general culture.

I learned the term in the way all education foremost occurs these days...on Facebook! Joke, of course. But a friend from college posted she and her family of 7 were on staycation. Now, noting the number of children she and her husband have beautifully birthed, I deduced this must be code for "temporarily out-of-touch as we search for our lost sanity amidst the generally overwhelming chaos we face each day and call, affectionately, life." Alas, this was not the case. Upon my inquiry, my friend, Laura Lynn, explained to me that staycation is the world of escape where you spend no money to eat, lodge, or travel but still effectively remove yourself from everyday living. How you accomplish this feat is entirely up to you...here's some of what we do.

We steadfastly refuse to get up and moving from our house before the rooster-crowing hour of 10 am. Yes, 10 am. The only morning person in our flock is Grace who is, thankfully, happy to settle into a good book or craft project until the rest of the house is ready to engage. Craig and I take turns sleeping in and keeping the morning routine simple. I like to cook big breakfasts, so I'll do that when the mood and hungry bellies strike. After that, we have no schedule. The Covak Couple aren't big lovers of the schedule...surprise you? I may be type A, but I'm married to a man who has built his own type - one that most definitely does not include either the need for tight structure or the desire to please anybody. Thus, as God has ingeniously planned, Daddy has brought Momma around to his way of thinking, and I no longer need a schedule or structure to feel happy. In fact, I argue that having no plan is, in fact, having a plan. Let it go. Live. Make it up as you go along!

Some days, we go to the gym where Craig and I can work out at the same time, if not together, since we can't do this regularly. We either eat out or order in more often than our usually budgeted once a week so I get a relief from cooking. We play board games, turn on the Wii, and read whole books in one afternoon (well, Gracie and I do). Craig and Grace also play Farmville and strategize on the best crop return (yea, I don't get it. But they love it, so that's great). We might hit the library, paint a wall, crochet a new purse, or oil the kitchen cabinets. We take naps and only throw in laundry when the underwear supply gets low. Listen, this is the way to enjoy a vacation, and we highly recommend it. And, while it does take some sacrifice (Craig plans ahead to take the entire last week in December off to revel in a staycation), it's worth knowing that we've relaxed without the hustle and bustle true vacations require...how many of us have returned from a trip away only to droop our shoulders and moan, "I need a vacation from my vacation!" Uh-huh.

But the best part of staycation is the mood it strikes. Though we're all at home, we're removed from the "real world," engaging only when and how we want. This leaves us all feeling rejuvenated, open to the peace that type of calm brings. So we end up having the conversations we most want to have when we're trying to squeeze in dinner around school, church, friends, jobs, errands, chores, basic hygiene....We talk to Grace about how much she loves her brothers. Elijah explains whole chapters of his internal book of how the world works and God within it. We notice that Judsen's face is becoming more little boy and less baby. I hold my husband and watch silly movies, thankful for another year of hearing his heart beat. And, best of all, I sit on my couch and look at them all...every face and little body...I hear each laugh and smell every head, reveling in how God's let them all be mine. At least for now. I picture every friend's face and reflect on spending time with each one of them, and find my cup overflows. I have been blessed.

So, try it some time, and let me know what you think. And, if you do it already, viva la difference! Screen your calls and leave your evenings to yourself to recline emotionally and physically, engaging your family more than your planner, Iphone, Blackberry, or Outlook. And hear your body and soul as they sigh, repleted, with a hefty, "Ahhhh. Thank you." And know that you are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment