Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Disturb Me

Disturb: to destroy the tranquillity or composure of;
      to throw into disorder;
           to put to inconvenience;
                  to alarm.

About a trillion years ago (15 in real time), I was in a Bible study. I'd been a believer maybe a month. Two if I want to stretch it. I also lived in a dorm; a giant dorm, in fact, housing about 1200 souls just wading through the grit of a life season spent trying to discover what in the heck they're all doing here.

I trekked to college to get a degree. 
Maybe gain a few friends.
Discover myself.

I discovered Christ instead. 

And, one day, about a trillion years ago, I ended up in a Bible study - the singular last X I would have ever marked on my map. Into that teeny 11x11 pad, though, we all squeezed. Searching. Seeking. Gazing at each other, asking, "What the heck are we all doing here?" 

I could fill pages with what I learned in that room from Him through those young women, but this is the nugget for today.
Never - ever - ask in prayer for God to do what you do not want Him in life to actually do.
If you ask Him to break you, sturdy your back. 
If you want Him to change you, prepare to adjust your dial. 
If you want Him to move you, pack your bags. 
If you want Him to show you, take off your shades.

If you want Him to disturb you, say goodbye to your tranquility. Diss your composure. Kiss off your lovely little order and say "Pleasure" to inconvenience. Alarm is about to be your new reality.

What made me think of all that?
This. From here.


I am stirred in the deepest corners of my soul.
I am moved to move.
I am paused to reconsider.

Which reminds me of another nugget.
If you can't look away, can't put it down, can't shake it from your fingers, close your fist: He's asking you to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment