Monday, January 4, 2010

Divine Dining

I don't like to cook. I like to entertain and cook for dinner guests because I like to be hospitable and serve in my home. But I don't like to cook.

Thus, it comes as no surprise that I love to dine out. My favorite date, it should go without saying, is my husband and my best friend. But second to him, my favorite dinner dates are my core group of women: there's nothing more fun than enjoying good food and better company with the gals who absolutely influence my very character. It's divine dining, this delicate balance of edibles and earnest edification.

On this staycation, I got to go out to dinner with my friend, Z, with whom I sat for 4 hours at a restaurant, laughing and chatting and having just the best time. I relish her sharp brain and key insight and invaluable ability to process a situation in equal light of emotion and intellect. She is more compassionate than I, more prepared to let missteps go in favor of embracing the subtle joys that even the hardest situation can bring. She is godly, pursuing God wholeheartedly even as she admits her shortcomings while crediting Him her successes. She makes me want to be better in those areas without ever making me feel as if I'm lacking.

This, to me, is friendship - that ability to see me truly while accepting me fully.

And I didn't even have to cook.

1 comment: