Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I Sat in the Sun With a Winner

This is my 11th year teaching college English. As with so many roles in life, teaching necessitates much-needed boundaries - all the more so when you teach adults. See, when my kids (at 9 and 6) want to be "buddies" with their teachers, it's rather cute. Endearing. Not so when they're 19 or 26. That's just weird. And there are ethics to consider. And gender. And the appearance of impropriety and nepotism (the English teacher must foster vocab). Thus, I put some pretty firm borders in place with my students, always working to strike that delicate balance between "Yes, let's talk about whatever you need to succeed" and "I definitely don't want to hear about how your boyfriend dumped you."

It should come as a great surprise, then, (because it sure does to me) that a gal I know call friend was once a former student. See how God spins the world, opening our eyes to possibilities evermore? I'm giving a shout-out to Julie (she follows my blog, so I know she'll read this at some point). Everyone stop, please, and say, "Hey, Julie!"

Last Saturday, I met Julie for lunch where we sat on the outdoor patio and soaked up some sun. We hit all the biggies: marriage, parenting, friendships, sexual orientation, gender ethics, and where I got my oh-so-cute boyfriend-cut khakis...you know...typical girl talk. As I drove home, I wondered, "How come I'm friends with Julie? I've never so much as chatted socially over coffee with a student before, so what makes her so different from the herd?" Well, Julie...you're a gem in your own right, apart from any "herd" one would attempt to lump you. But, that aside, I heralded this epiphany: I don't think of Julie as a student. I once did, sure. But not anymore. She's a peer. A believer. A wife. A mother. A friend. A good thinker. A winner. A first.
She's clever and smart and makes me think about experiences I've never engaged. Relationships God hasn't brought me. Conundrums my plate has passed.

This is good friendship. God-given friendship. One that breaks borders, however strongly we seek to erect them. Don't get me wrong: boundaries are good. Sometimes right and even necessary. But Julie reminds me that boundaries against God are never good. Never right. Never necessary.

Being open to what - and whom - He has for us brings great blessings. Unexpected gifts.
Much like Julie. 
And outdoor patio lunches. 
And sitting in the sun with a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment