Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"Glee"-full Golden Globes

I know I mentioned this show in my post "My Favorite Things -- TV Land." But the Golden Globe nominations were released yesterday, and I find it's worth mentioning that Glee received the majority of the nods. With four nominations, they received more than any other series in the comedy or musical category. Included in those are the coveted Best Series, Comedy or Musical and, not surprisingly, best actor for Matthew Morrison (Will Schuster) and Best Actress for Lea Michele (Rachel Berry). Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester) was also noticed in the Best Supporting Actress category.
This is a show many adults shrug off, citing it seems "cheesy" or an updated version of any other teenage-focused comidrama. I admit there is some truth to that: it's quirky, and I found I had to press through the first couple of episodes I tried. And, admittedly, there's a teenage spin on some plot situations; however, this isn't the WB network. You won't find Dawson's Creek or 90210 or Gossip Girls creeping in (um, did I just date myself?), and if you don't like singing and dancing, you're out of luck.

But if you want to indulge a guilty pleasure -- that craving for entertainment that excites the sense with no heavy mental lifting involved -- this will scratch your itch. You can meet Sue, who I'll wager we ALL wish we could be in some moments: that gal who says what you would were you ever totally without ethics, morals, tact, or basic human decency. You can be inspired by the love of teaching and one guy's drive to make sure teens know they matter. You can wish you were friends with the OCD-afflicted but generous-hearted Emma Pillsbury who's just trying to figure out love and life.  And, of course, any show that's got a guy my age breakdancing is a go for me.
Give it a try (locally) on Wednesday nights at 8 pm or check your listings for reruns.
It may surprise you. You may surprise yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE GLEE. My heart is sad that the fall season is over and I have to wait for the spring. My husband loves it too!

    ReplyDelete