Monday, December 14, 2009

My Favorite Things - TV Land

I titled this post with one of the weirdest Christmas songs in mind: whenever I hear it, I think of the 1950s and picture book children made of sugar and spice and everything nice. And, of course, let's not forget that Oprah has made the once mildly well-known phrase into an uber-phenomena of hot-ticket must-haves. But both get me thinking: what are some of my favorite things?

Each fall, I begin the hunt for television shows: my limit is 5. Yes, just 5. For some, that's excessive. For others, that's ridiculously minimal. Either way, it's the number that keeps me disciplined from over-watching the tube and forces me to consider carefully where I'll lay my time. I mean, come on now, how much tv do we watch purely to veg out -- even if we don't care about the programming itself? And, while I'm all for the vegging, I don't want the porthole to suck me in, either.


Of course, the trick in current cable and network scheduling is filling the gaps: gone are the days when all shows run from September to May. Instead, you've got 13 episodes, late starts, test starts, feature series, and "events"...whatever those are. So, I find my five slightly rotating as one might end and another begins. Here's a sample of my faves...what are yours?





 

1 comment: