Monday, February 27, 2012

Stick 'Em On Your Rear

I've seen some pert-good bumper stickers in my day.  From the hysterical to the philosophical to the political to the grammatical, if I'm not laughing, I'm groaning (sometimes "That's just wrong" seems oh-so-right).

Textbooks have filled my brain with knowledge - which the Good Book gives a good washing - and now I fill young minds with knowledge...and maybe a little washing, too. But some of life's best nuggets have come from neither. No, its bumper stickers that have served our culture as sheriff, judge, town cryer, gossip rag, and epitaph on the social struggles we deem just another day in paradise.

For instance, more than one car's backside has testified that  
Pain is inevitable, misery is optional and  
He who laughs last thinks slowest. 

It's likely no good testimony to my character to confess I've laughed uproariously at
Could You Drive Any Better If I Shoved That Cell Phone Up Your A*%?  
and nodded gravely to  
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation. 

Eschew obfuscation 
actually means something to me - which appeals to my not-so-inner elitist.

But aren't these social discourses a bit more than a laugh and tickle? I mean, look at how long I've just spent writing about a lesser-valued genre of lower written English: what more could we say given 25 characters or less?

1 Pet. 3:15 instructs, "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." If that command was the driving force of stickers upon the bumper, perhaps we'd get to the heart of the matter with decals like these.

The Seating Preference
          Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking?
The Zealot
        Hope dies last!
The Bottom Line
          God Bless Our Troops.
The Golden Rule
          Be human.
The Curiously Likely
         The More You Complain, The Longer God Makes You Live.
The Stuff at the End
         Don't put a question mark where God put a period.

Good reasons. Good answers. Good hope.
Why not stick 'em on your rear?

No comments:

Post a Comment