Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Sky Looks Pissed

Thanks to Hulu Plus, I stumbled upon the this glorious little musical treasure whose stage recently hosted Ingrid Michaelson.

Love her writing. And singing.


The best part of shows like this one is that you can, in their rawest form short of sitting next to them on a subway train, encounter new artists. Deciding if you like 'em is really so much easier when they're without producers, mixers, and dubbing knobs.


So is the case with Miss Ingrid. She marries lyrics to rhythm to create moments - ones I've lived in, some I have not. Nevertheless, they are ad rem to the human heart, the nature of relating. While humming along to the tunes I'm already stuck on, the first notes of this song knelled: it's one I had not heard heretofore.

Now I'm listening to it over and over.
At first blush, I thought it was a moment I hadn't lived.
Then again, I think we've all lived it. It's about loss by absence. It's about admitting that loss. It's about wanting to fill it with what once lived there, before the loss became too risky to endure. It's about reopening the heart by removing its chain.

Besides, there's not one of us who haven't seen a sky look pissed or heard the wind talk back.
I could dig it for those two lines alone.

Here's your shot to do the same.


 "The Chain"

The sky looks pissed.
The wind talks back.
My bones are shifting in my skin
And you my love are gone.

My room seems wrong.
The bed won't fit.
I can not seem to operate
And you my love are gone

(Chorus)
So glide away on soapy heels
And promise not to promise anymore
And if you come around again
Then I will take, then I will take the chain from off the door

I'll never say,
I'll never love.
But I dont say a lot of things
And you my love are gone.

(Chorus X6)

No comments:

Post a Comment