Sunday, June 12, 2011

Just What I Needed

Disclaimer: This one's a wee windy, but I found I had so much to say. So I'm throwing in the grace chips and asking you to hang on with me. Also, high-five to all the pics contributors since I took nary a one.)

This week's time found its biggest filler in Vanguard's annual VBB (Vacation Bible Blast). This was my 11th year to serve arm-in-arm with some truly fantastic men and women who, despite knowing most of them for more than a decade, never cease to amaze me with the depths of their willingness to reach the hearts of children. I'm so thankful for every heart that taught, nurtured, and (yes, even) corrected my three children this week: they are the better and deeper for it.

Every other year, this team of leaders (championed and headed by Ellen G) creates our very own week's worth of curriculum (usually written by Miss Mandy, whom you most recently read about for her efforts to promote The Adventure Project...holla, M!). This was an off-year so, in my mind anyway, a bit of a lighter year as we used some standardized material themed "Big Apple Adventure". And so went the way of the set designers, t-shirt makers, craft creators, and snack stylings: New York City merged with teaching kiddos to connect faith and life...with great memories and deeper understanding of a most-excellent Father. (Check out the pics at the end to see for yourself).

But here's the nugget for this post, the one "a-ha" that hits me across the forehead every year. Yes, every year (I'm a forgetful learner in some circles, people). The kids don't care if the iron-on won't stick or if their cookies are generic or name-brand. They don't think twice about the length of their name-tag cord or if the design of registration tables is line-flow friendly. They certainly don't consider the hours of labor it takes to iron those labels, collect those cookies, cord those name tags or arrange those tables. No, they just want to sing. And dance. And jump up and down while they scream out the lyrics to "Our God is Greater."

This is why, every year, when I stand at the back of the auditorium and watch circa 200 little hands and feet and faces do just that...tears stream down the face. Because, see, I'm not all that kid-oriented. Or, at least, I'd hadn't always been. But then I became a mother. I know, now, that's made me far more kid-oriented than I could have ever conjured on my own. It's opened my eyes to the truth that our communities, our cities, our nation, and our world are not in our long-term hands but in theirs. (Which makes those possessing such a heart outside of motherhood all the more inspiring).
 
That heart relished my daughter leading on the worship team this year: listened to her tell me how she felt closer to God doing that (tears right now coming down the face). Which reminded me this week:  
I'm living a privilege. 
My whole life is a privilege. It's hardly perfect, certainly not without hardships and struggles. But realizing you're living a privilege isn't about absence of difficulty: it's about the bigger picture of gift, of breathing in and out in the midst of more than you ever dreamed you could have. It's seeing the hardships of life as part of the privilege, as part of the adventure.

Which makes me want to sing and dance and jump up and down 
while I shout out the lyrics to "Our Great is Greater." 
So, thanks, VBB for the heart-check.

It was just what I needed.
 
(l) Now that's he's 3, this marked Judsen's first year participating (he's with his buddy, Boston). His teacher, Miss Melissa, provided an ideal inauguration...thanks, lady!
(r) Grace and her worship team cohort, Devon)

 (r) With Miss Eileen, children's leader extraordinairre.
 Brooklyn house: Grace watching the Drama skit
 The Worship Team (there's Miss Mandy on the right)
Brooklyn House...with Elijah in the blue shirt center

1 comment:

  1. me too! vbb sneaks in and, while i think that I am the one trying to grab the hearts of the kids, mine is always, ALWAYS the one being grabbed.

    funny how that works. so funny, it's probably divine....

    ReplyDelete