Thursday, June 2, 2011

It's Summertime!

I know summer has officially begun for a number of reasons:
  1. It's finally warm here. And the statistic that the Springs sees 330 days of sunshine per year is seeming a bit truer these days.
  2. No more twice-daily walks to school twice, early-morning choir practices, lunchbox menus, and endless paperwork to sign.
  3. My morning cup of coffee is taller, sipped longer, and enjoyed outside because of #1 and #2.
  4. My stack of paperbacks has grown from 0 to 12 overnight. Taxes paid for our public library are my favorite investment.
  5. My Kindle is locked and loaded with a Queue just waiting to be devoured on a road trip.
But let us not forget the biggest signpost on the road to summer: the songs!

I love music...truly love it. Yet, it's during the summer that I most link music to mood. I listen to it more. I sing it more. I put it on in random places more often and take more of an effort to enjoy it with the kids. This, I've surmised, is likely because (much like my reading) my listening tastes bend toward fun and ridiculous which lends itself more easily to equally fun and ridiculous behavior.

Prior to the age of Facebook, you might never know this about me...unless you were woefully trapped in my kitchen, my car, my backyard or stuck running alongside me on the street. Outside of these circumstances, the world was largely safe from my lyrical renderings. Now the status update bar querying, "What's on Your Mind?" seems the perfect place to post the eclectic and often giddy phrasings from some of my summer faves - as they come to ear.

Post some of your own! I know I'll be watching to discover some tunes heretofore overlooked while I get a sense of what your day, your hour, your moment is yielding.

It's fun! 
It's ridiculous!
It's Summertime!

No comments:

Post a Comment