Sunday, September 6, 2009

Who's the Boss?


Kelly's message today at church was about bosses; namely, he queried, "How do you behave respectfully to your boss?" These types of Sundays have a strange vibe to me: our worship pastor is away on tour (yeah, on tour...how wild is that?), so we have a fill-in who's fabulous in his own right, don't get me wrong. But he's not Fike, and Fike is the regular. I mean, have we met? I'm the epitome of anal-retentive and, when you take my regular regimen away, you've left me naked and bald. Don't worry, I cope on the inside so I appear sunny on the outside.

Anyway, I'm in this strange vibe already and here comes this message. Now I don't have a boss. No, that's not entirely true. I do have a boss. But in the world of freelance writing and editing and teaching as part of the Adjunct Faculty, my bosses are not folks I see each day as I sip Starbucks in a meeting or talk "Lost" at the water cooler. I like it that way, quite frankly, since I'm already at full capacity (and, some days, then some) with my plate of relationships.
So I'm listening to Kelly and thinking the typical meanderings: "Hmmm....I'll have to think about that." "Funny guy." "Um, that's not a word." "Um, that's not even English..." Well, you get the drift. And then it hits me: I DO have a boss. I DO, I DO, I DO! Now, this choice of words is ironic because they're the reason I have a boss....you see, Craig is my boss.

Now, listen ladies, don't get your hackles up just yet! Though I could argue Scripture with ya and even debate the emotional and spiritual "economics" of this position, let me just say: You don't have to agree, believe, or certainly prescribe to my way of thinking. But it works for me.
Each day I have a mission to live out, tasks to achieve, atmospheres to create. To whom am I accountable? It would be most spiritual for me to say God, that's true. And I do believe that, live for that, and otherwise strive for that. Yet, on a flesh level, the truth is I'm responsible to Craig. Just as I expect him to provide, to cover, to protect us, he expects I will nurture, construct, navigate, and love us as Christ loves His church.

I'm not afraid to have this boss: his love is the greatest salary out there; his provision offers the best health care and benefits package; my life with him is my guaranteed retirement; and, through our children, he's given the best support team and little flock of ducklings I could imagine. I do respect my boss: he's earned it, for sure. And I genuinely like my boss: I guess all that helps me realize I love my job, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment