Thursday, April 26, 2012

Now, Would I Lie to You?

I could lie to you.

I could tell you I am not usually uncomfortable with time. That I don't attempt to wrest the minute hands from God at most inclinations, either to wind time round or to turn it back.  I don't always care which. I could tell you that it is easy to live in any moment, never wondering what's ahead or regretting what lies behind.

Maybe I should tell you that.

But I'd be lying.

My friend, Lynne, shared this quote today because she thought it was powerful.
I agree with Lynne.
"Patience is not waiting passively until someone else does something. Patience asks us to live the moment to the fullest, to be completely present to the moment, to taste the here and now, to be where we are. When we are impatient, we try to get away from where we are. We behave as if the real thing will happen tomorrow, later, and somewhere else. Let’s be patient and trust that the treasure we look for is hidden in the ground on which we stand." - Henri J.M. Nouwen
Patience is active.
It's tasting.
     Being.
         Trusting.
               Looking.
                     Standing.

It's the now.
This moment.
This presence.
This treasure.
This ground.

I could tell you the this is what gets me to forfeit the wresting. I can't win anyway. Besides, guessing and regretting have never brought good times - not a single one.

I could tell you that now's the best I'm going to get.
For now.

I wouldn't be lying.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! A good word for today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way. Thanks for reading, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch. If this is how my patience is measured (which is a very good word) then I am failing HARD right now. Okay. Tomorrow I will TRY to savor the moment. ugh. and I'm NOT lying.

    ReplyDelete