Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cowboys, Shame Fests, and Neon Monikers

I'm copyediting four manuscripts. Right now. Which means I'm stuck at a computer screen, dividing my time into the categories of "Must Get Done" and "Must Take Break". I like the work, but it's tedious with a dose of mind-scrambling. Which means my thoughts are random.

A new and disturbing trend?

Nevertheless, we're now on the subject (nicely done, me). Why not cast a few query logs onto the fire?
 Pandora, how do you go wrong? So...so...SO wrong?
Are you attempting to Captain Obvious me into a tortured state by emphasizing what the likely entire world already knows - British people shouldn't rap? I'm quite serious and borderline rabid when I ask you, "Where did you find that song? And how did it make my playlist?" 
What is the next drop in the descent toward total humiliation? Losing a Words With Friends match by more than 130 points to our friend, Steve. I take comfort in knowing the herculean portion of self-restraint he showed in gloating next to nothing cost him considerably. Or else he's storing it for some equally herculean future shame-fest. One can never be sure.
Why, Senior Editor, do you pay me to tell you how your writers break the rules only to argue with me in email the merit of the rule? It is not my fault your authors can't actually, you know...write. It's not like I even brought up that little piece of damning evidence. It's a restrictive clause, I tell you! Commas are not optional. And "French fries" are not actually from France, you realize. Perhaps it's also time to shed your belief that the monarchy possesses a King Burger or that McDonald's is a name of Scottish high-birth. Want me to note that on your invoice?
 How is it that, despite its complete insincerity and obvious attempt to manipulate, vaguebooking still exists? I need a neon, blinking Dislike button for that, Mr. Zuckerberg. Yesterday. Sigh. I'm having such a hard time.
Is anyone else baffled as to how Cowboys and Aliens defied La-La-Like odds by containing the two most diametrically opposed lines in a one-hour segment? Let me spare you the other 1:24 and tell you. They're "What kind of man blows up another's man's cattle?" and "God don't care who you were, only who you are."
Did you know I'm the kept woman of a married man? But I'm cool with that. I mean, the married man is my husband, so reprehensibly immoral it is not. Course, if you're of the 2-x persuasion and married, you're a kept woman, too. Just so you know. Seems the "Mrs" moniker was first derived from mistress. Irony noted.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I didn't have to read that post! (ahem... in its entirety) See, I would have gotten lost, but when you tell me over the phone it is so much more fun! And to know I was part of your "10 minute break" made it all the merrier. Go ahead...edit me! :)

    ReplyDelete