Monday, July 18, 2011

When You Go

C.S. Lewis wrote, "No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond." Of course, he also wrote, "A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."

I imagine it's a rare production of the written word that satisfies both such requirements.
 But I'd say The Potter 7 fits the bill.

Last night, in a parade of well-orchestrated plans about which I'll spare you the details, Zee and I hit the Cineplex for The Deathly Hallows, Part 2. At this point in our lives, such a date must be greatly wanted (by us) and then heavily supported (by Steve and Craig). But, when we get them, they are an oh-so-good treat.

Watching the film actually felt (Dare I confess?) a bit like history in the making. Grace was a wee babe when first I entered the hallowed halls of Hogwarts; first explored the sundries of Diagon Alley; imbibed my first mug of butterbeer; and painted the skies on my first Nimbus 2000. Now you allege I wasn't actually there, I know. But, when you encounter such a spectacular writer as J.K. Rowling, you truly enter the world - her world...a magical envelope containing bravery, sacrifice, destiny, and secrets enshrouded within the choices that define us all - the ones that cost us the most.

And I got to see it with this dear friend.

Which made it all the better. You really should go see it with your Ron. Or your Hermione. Or your Gryffindors even. Because we're all a little bit of Harry Potter, with our longings to do what's right in the face of it all going so wrong. We all want to have our loyals standing tall beside us, vowing never to leave us in the face of our greatest fears. We all want to fight the good fight...and win it in the end.

If you have those someones, then go with them.
Then you'll enter the world, too.
And discover a bit of history while you're at it.

As the gal next to me expressed to her friends, "That was the last first time we'll see a Harry Potter movie in the theater." True that. But you don't have to leave all of the world of wizardry and magic behind.

You can always take your Ron's and Hermione's with you when you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment