Monday, November 1, 2010

I Let It Go

I'm task oriented. Goal-driven. This is an excellent trait when taking exams, completing errands, or running multiple miles. This is not an excellent trait when attempting to balance the moments of relationship with the press of an agenda.

Craig knows this about me. Accepts it. Challenges it. Tailors it. And why not? Heaven knows I need the help from those I actually value more than any task anywhere, anytime! If not for them (and, I hope, my own decidedly necessary attempts at self-control), I'd bury my life under relentless lists never seeing the bold lights of relationship's day.

Our anniversary getaway brought just such an occasion, and I can honestly say, "I let it go."

In honor of the impending recollection of our nuptials, we decided to run far, far away, boldly going to unexplored lands of culture, sophistication, superior intellect, and refined society....

Okay, not really.
We actually went to Denver and had a burger.

But it was a REALLY good burger (and we also made an overnighter/next-dayer out of it). Knowing our date was approaching and having volunteered to handle all our planning this year, I was a bit at a loss for a restaurant idea. We've done the high-heels and suit reservation - a few times, in fact - but we just end up wondering why we did it: me with my sore feet and Craig with his belly still empty (sprigs of parsley and one potato just don't seem to cut it with him...go figure!)

Then, on the Thursday before we left, we caught an episode of Man v Food on the Travel Channel where Denver was the featured city - and included a ditty on Duffy's Cherry Crickert.

Located in Cherry Creek, we surmised locals generally refer to it as "The Cherry Cricket" or its even more affectionate surname, "Cricket." The premise is simple: pick your base of one of three types of burgers (1/2 lb. beef, 1/4 lb. beef, or turkey). Then choose from an array of toppings, individually priced, to satiate your salivating palate. Options range from peanut butter, to egg (fixed any way you like it), to avocado, and BBQ sauce. You can split a traditional basket of fries or go the "Frings" avenue - a happy combo of their famous onion rings and fries. They also boast 22 beers on tap and over 82 brands bottled.

I actually heard a choir of angels for, as I recently read on the label of Steve's latest beer offering: "Good people drink good beer." Thanks for the insight, Hunter S. Thompson.

By the way, the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat on draught came highly recommended. After partaking, I give it another happy "Yea".

We sat outside beneath the falling golden leaves of a corner tree as the sun sank and foot traffic grew. It was, in a word, lovely.

Then I remembered I left my camera in the car.

"How long do you think it'd take me to jog back and get it?" I asked my sweet.

The "Aha!", though slow in coming, wasn't gentle in its arrival, either. It rather pelted me up side the head with a pointy toe to remind me this:

Forget about documenting the moment if it means you're not actually living in it.

Or put another way...

Let the task go.
Just be with the one you love.

After informing Craig of my mental epiphany, he chuckled and quipped, "You're just gonna' let it go, eh?"

And let it go I did - though I confess I expressed to Craig that failing to have my own shot of the famous spinning sign was irksome, at best.

So we enjoyed our vittles and brew and walked hand-in-hand down through the quaint university district and on to our car only to find our course brought us back.

To the restaurant.
To it storefront, to be exact.
Where we were summarily stuck in a short traffic pause.
Right in front of the famous spinning sign.
Which was - oh, joy!!! - just long enough for me to get my coveted shot....


...and to savor how He cares about the "Big Littles" of everyday life -
like letting it go to see what He gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment