Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In the Last 10 Minutes

It's the last 10 minutes that gets me most in trouble.

When I've got that tiny window after I'm ready to go but before it's time to walk out the door, I know I'm in big trouble. In that 10 minutes, I tap my toe and think of even one task I can accomplish...in just 10 minutes.

Or three tasks in 5, 3, and 2 minutes.

Or four tasks in...well, you get the math, right?

I know, I know!!! The best approach is just to leave early, right? I mean, am I not ready to don the shoes, scoop up the kid, and hit the road?

Nay, nay I say!

For what will I do when I arrive where I'm going early? I imagine this to be a waste of time for, surely you know, when I am early, there will most certainly never be a traffic accident or weather delays or a forgotten sippy or shopping list. Because those happenings only occur when I'm the blur streaking across the home and roads just trying to make it to my destination. When I'm early - make no mistake - I'll find myself sitting somewhere. Doing nothing. But waiting. And thinking of what I could have done with my last 10 minutes.

But then that last 10 minutes gets me in trouble - for the task that should take three minutes turns out to minimally need 15...and then Mama's grouchy because (Type A shudder) that task is left undone and waiting for my immediate attention upon return.

So what can I do? How can I solve?

Yep, you got it: the answer is always the same for us task-oriented, Type A, thinking introverts...let it go! I've taken to making sure my pocket Bible is always in my satchel (thank you, Amy C, for this gift- its magic never ends, to be sure) and a notepad of paper is at the ready (so I can update my lists, new or old).

But here's the best part: I'm learning to bask in a toddler conversation. Or check out a sinking sun. Or compose a letter to my husband's grandmother. Or just stop and think - which is, most definitely, one of my favorite pastimes anyway - who says it had to be at the end of my day, in the quiet of my bedroom or shadows of the parlor?

In short, I'm taking the last 10 minutes to breathe. To dwell. To be.

It's the best I can accomplish.

In the last 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment