Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Fun-Dooooooo!"

The title says it all: that's exactly what our kids shout when they see me pulling the fondue pot from the upper cabinet.

They know that the pot means ooey, gooey chocolate and piles of nothing but sugar as they dip and smear to their hearts' delights.

As a mommy, I'm not that good at wild and silly play: it doesn't naturally occur to me to jump down on the floor and roll around in a tickle fest. So, I've taught myself - through the avenues of contemplation and decision - to be more about that than what comes easily.

But stuff like "fun-doo" I do do well. (Smile).

I do make our house a home by creating an environment of nurturing care. I do remember to seize the every day moments and make them seem extraordinary - not in how much money we spend or how far ahead we plan, but in how much love pours from the spontaneous.

That's the joy of an unplanned fun-doo night.

Where I can see all my children's hands...and notice they resemble mine. And Craig's. Where I can see their unique personalities in his silly, chocolate-laced grins

or in her deepening dimple - in exactly the same spot as her Daddy's.

Of course, those same personalities want to show you their marshmallow...

because what would your day be without THAT lovely image!

And sometimes, the messy giggles and chocolate-laced smile tendencies don't skip a generation so much as they're shared between members of the same one.

 
But fun-doo's best part is the simple experiencing - that of a Mommy and a Daddy looking at their legacy...


before they grow too big

to do much more than recall...in love...
the memory of fun-doo.

No comments:

Post a Comment