Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Glory

What makes a good day?

Perfect weather? Money in the pocket? A date with a pretty lady or a dapper gent? Good friends, great laughs, even better memories?

One of the first components of any good day, I've found, is having it fall on a Sunday. Something about this first day/feels like the last day of any week proclaims, "Yes! Go ahead and take that nap you've been craving; eat an extra helping of pie; gather friends for an impromptu dinner; watch a long movie; go to bed early with a cup of tea and a scintillating tale." It is permissive, isn't it - that Sunday-grand?

This morning, despite fighting an ugly cold and resisting the temptation to nap the ante meridian well into its post, I prepared for church. For reasons I won't go into here, I felt it necessary to be with this family, especially today: so I donned my comfy jeans, boots, and new blouse - and out we went.

And what can I say? Sunday Glory began: the children's church check-in line was short, the baby pottied before class, and I refrained from lengthy waylaying lest Craig had to wait patiently (again) for me to rejoin him. Before even making it to our main theater (did you know our church building was once a theater?), we greeted no less than five families and gripped our pastor in a hug and honest conversation - before we uttered even one word of the service. We found a line of friends who, upon first spotting us, waved and smiled and hugged and kissed - affections we were quick to return in kind. We sang, we watched a hilarious clip from American Idol. We listened to heady words of success and failure, good news and not-so. We sat with family - immediate and extended.

I hugged a brand new mother (what a great lady you are, Mandy). I wished a friend happy birthday: face-to-face on the actual day...an old-fashioned rarity in these modern days. We looked a friend in his eyes and told him that he mattered - and watched his reaction when he saw in us it was true.

And my cold didn't bother me so much.

Then we went to lunch and laughed with old friends.
I napped.
Now I'm making dinner (spaghetti with a free loaf of bread from Jimmy John's).
And chatting with the best man to grace this planet, one who's as good and wise as he is kind...and sexy..because, well, let's not pretend that THAT doesn't matter just as much as the rest of it.

Outside, the day is fine with warm breezes and rays of sun for the two older to play with their neighborhood friends.
Inside, our little guy amuses us with his general demeanor of innocent exploration and silly antics while the din of football on the tv reminds me that fall is here, as is my husband to watch it - a blessing I remember daily was thrice nearly gone.

It is a good day.
Sunday Glory.
Richly blessed.

1 comment: