Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Hat

In January of 2008, I bought Craig a hat. The occasion prompting the purchase was twofold: his 35th birthday and an upcoming tumor biopsy.

The sentiment behind the purchase was a change in his consciousness I was determined to provoke. Perhaps to best understand the hat - and the sentiment - is through the visual.
























Yep, they all have one item in common: The Superman Hat.

Though I've given him several over the years, this is the one he wears the most. I don't know if he knows he does. I suppose I'll have to ask him. But, whether consciously or not, he owns the message of this hat.

And that was the sentiment.

After months of pokes and prods and multiple scans, Craig still had a ways to go...and was feeling the discouraging effects of it. I was convinced he shouldn't go into the necessary biopsy - already painful and delicate and, therefore, quite scary in its own right - with that mindset. So, when I saw this hat, I scooped it up immediately...to remind him to be strong. To be faithful. To be determined beyond reason or logic. To stand firm when he most wanted to fall. And to believe in the might within him, given by God, no matter what.

When I gave it to him, I told him he had to live. He had to survive. I told him he was the most beautiful man I'll ever know. He just smiled and put it on, probably not really feeling any of those thoughts were true. But he wore that hat the day of his biopsy right until they wheeled him into the lab. And he asked me to get it for him as soon as he came out.

He conquered that biopsy. And the excruciating pain it brought. And the tumor it diagnosed.
Anyone who knows him will tell you, if you see Craig, you're likely to see that hat. 

He's a husband, father, brother, son, and friend.
He's smart and good and immeasurably wise.
He's a survivor.

After all, he's Superman.

No comments:

Post a Comment