Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thanks For That Moment

In recent weeks - well, more like months, now that I think on it - I've been purposefully redirecting how I apply the label "important" in my life. I know, I know: sounds like hooey. Yet, with complete candor, I can tell you that it is far better to let the little die before it overtakes the life of the big. I am freer. Happier. And, quite frankly, more likable (I hope). And heaven knows I need all the help I can get in that area!

Before this endeavor to heart-change, I would have heard a little jeer from Grace last night. I might have even chuckled. But, distracted by the little overtaking the big, I wouldn't have been able to dwell on it. Savor it. And laugh uproariously in the middle of a parking lot while standing amidst the happy gaggle of gigglers laughing along with me.

Being in the moment, I couldn't take a picture of the moment.  Still, my heart snapped the frame and stored it fast within the happy vault...to be retrieved on days when the work seems big, the result quite small, and faith smaller still.

So, what did she say? Yeah, I'd be asking that, too. If you're thinking it was profound or otherwise markedly deep in any capacity, you're mistaken. She was simply admiring her new boots (complete with horseshoes embellished on the soles, which makes them Grace's version of shoe nirvana) and noticed they were a bit wider in the leg grip than she might prefer. But, with a shrug and lopsided grin, she summed, "Oh well. Choosers can't be skimpy pickers."

Yeah, that was it.
Not all that funny?
Try living in the small, striving to appreciate each moment for the beauty it simply is.
Yep.
It's funnier then.

"You mean, 'beggars can't be choosy.'"
"Huh? Well, I guess so. If that's the way it's supposed to go." Pause for a beat. "But I think my way is better."

Yes, Grace. I think your way is better, too.

Thanks for that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment