Wednesday, February 9, 2011

In This House

While Colorado temporarily (and sporatically - yuck!) logs hours in the icebox, two realizations have struck me: first, I STILL miss Alaska and, second, I'm so thankful for our house.

You know, my joke in our home is that, being as how I take no shine whatsoever to flowers or jewelery, Craig has had to come up with inventive and (alas) not-so-traditional gestures of love. Well, he's surely never failed. For instance, you may not know that he got me to uproot my entire life and move in with strangers in another state...without ever asking me to marry him until I got there. Or that he proposed and wed me in a mere 7.5 weeks. On Halloween. (Or, in deference to my beloved's preference, October 31st.) On December 21, 2000, he gifted me with a daughter. A mere three weeks before Thanksgiving 2003, I got a son. Judsen came just after Easter. He bought me a house for Christmas 2004. And in December 2007, he lived.

The best gift of all.

But all those memories, those stories, we've inscribed upon our house's gateposts in the intricate font of Love. On these days when we're tucked cozily inside these four walls, we giggle and wrestle and craft and eat. And drink cocoa. And quibble over who'll fold the laundry or pick up the living room. We play Nancy Drew or watch movies about horses. We have storytime and look at pictures of snow days passed...in this house where our story begins. As brothers and sister. As mother and father. As husband and wife. As friends for a lifetime.

As family.

Passing the hours in warmth from the cold.
With all we need.
In this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment