Sunday, August 15, 2010

4th and 1st

Grace and Elijah returned to school on August 4th.This year, we're living in the land called 4th and 1st (grades, that is) - which makes Mama particularly happy since there's no more half-day, three (sometimes four) trips-back-and-forth-to-school chaos five days a week. Now, everybody treks the block to school (yes, block. Still love that) - and Judsen insists on walking the whole way. I believe this is solely for the purpose of enjoying the monstrous splashes he loves to make in the biggest puddles he can find.
Boys.

Grace has long lived in the "I pick my own clothes" world, and she does a great job. I like that she wears outfits I might never put together because we see her style. Her flare. She even does her own hair - complete with braids and coordinating earrings. Here she is in this year's 1st Day of School ensemble.

And it was her year to select a new backpack (they get new ones every other year). This canvas bag is her pick - I think it's cool, but Craig is a little stymied by the flower power effect. Wink.
Elijah seems most excited about, of course, going all day. And eating lunch at school - especially on his hot lunch days. He and Grace poured over the lunch menu, highlighting their allotted once per week meal choices with blue and yellow highlighters, respectively. On school nights, they hit the kitchen at about 7:30 and pack their "sides" for cold lunches. With Craig's and Jessi's input (many thanks), this is how I opted to ease my morning load while building responsibility as they mature. They know to pick at least one dairy, fruit, protein, and whole grain offering along with a snack for mid-morning. Then I only need to make their "main" when I pack Craig's lunch.
I love rhythm.
It makes me smile.

Here's Elijah's chosen getup for the first day - yep, he picked his, too.
I surmise he thought this pic-taking was a bit lame.

Judsen just thought all this business was silly.

If I could seal this with love glue and have them always be this close - this depth of buddies - I would. I pray they become teenagers, "collegians", spouses, parents, and old people - always living out this picture and all it represents.

We really like their teachers - Elijah has Mrs. Minette, who was Grace's Kindergarten teacher...she's so gentle and kind and funny. Elijah will thrive. Grace's teacher, Mrs. Granaas, has experience with gifted and talented kids, so she'll be much appreciated. Her disposition, too, is soft and patient - a perfect match for Grace.

And she's uber-organized - a perfect match for me.

It was a good day had by all, including Judd who now gets his turn having one-on-one time with Mommy, just like his siblings did before him. We'll have grand adventures at home while his brother and sister have them at school. And, when 3:30 rolls around, we'll all come together again for snack and homework, chores then dinner...and Daddy's return home.

This is family.
This is the good life.


No comments:

Post a Comment