Monday, September 19, 2011

Go Big

I love my job.

I'm not speaking of the one that's hour-marked by loads of laundry, bags of groceries, floors of sweeping, bills of paying, buckets of organizing, menus of cooking, errands of running.....BIIIIIGGGG inhale.

Because I do, in fact, love that job.

But I'm also a teacher. Which is more than a job. When you can say your job isn't just what you do, but who you are - well, you're living the working man's dream. Or woman's. Whatever.

I remembered why I love my job last Saturday: with one student completing a writing task and two others waiting with their queries, I spared a moment to (internally) shout: "I LOVE MY JOB!" Challenging young minds to think - to actually consider with their frontal lobes the surroundings they call the world - until I see their eyes widen, heads lift, and shoulder rise...well, that supersonics past what I do to become affixed in the firmament of who I am.

In that little moment, I felt big.
 Big in what I do.
Big in who I am.
In how I want to be.

We credit Confucius with the original observation, but the variant that follows has become its own rendering: "Wherever you go, there you are." 

So be there.
Completely.
Unabashedly.
Full throttle.

Whether it's a job, a relationship, a phase, a conversation, a drive, or a longneck coated in frost...

Relish it. 
Prize it.
Live in the little, revel in the much...but whatever you do...

Go Big.

No comments:

Post a Comment