Monday, December 13, 2010

It Isn't Just a Coat

Thanksgiving Day was a happily quiet affair this year. With plans for the evening intact, our family plan was mellow, marked by all-day jammy-wearing and hot-from-the-oven fare. Since the day was just such, I planned to pop out that morning for some early-shopping deals at our neighborhood Old Navy. With its mere 6 minute jaunt door to door and opening at 9 am, I was happy to seize the no-kids opportunity without feeling I'm breaking the natural barriers of sleep to get a good deal (I guess my frugality does, in fact, have its limits).

I got some GREAT bargains, but this is my favorite.
It's a coat.
But not just a coat.
Nay nay, I say.

It's also a reminder that the ominous portal through which assundries of socks, scarves, hats, mittens, and - yes - coats, disappears is still good and active because, despite having all the others in a Rubbermaid container, I couldn't locate Elijah's 3T coat. So, either we lost it somewhere or he was really cold that winter.

It's a reminder that a $45 coat (yes, that was it's original price. I gagged a bit, too) should really be $13. And have lamb's wool on the inside for good measure. Along with a hood. And snaps, not buttons. And real pockets for his treasures.

It's a reminder that said $13 is some of the best spent when it means, in reaction to his coat, that one precious son insisted on wearing it - immediately and throughout the entirety of the morning.
And he smirked and smiled about it - stuffed, zipped, and sealed in the thing - the entire time.

But here was the best reminder of all...a question, really, to the very heart:

When was the last time you were happy about something so seemingly insignificant?
About something that reminds you all you have is all you need?

About something that isn't just a coat?

No comments:

Post a Comment