Wednesday, June 20, 2012

That Elf Got Axed

The other day, I checked in on this here blog and realized that sketchy little elf I hired to write it hadn't been doing her job.

I fired her.
You're stuck with me again.

I also noticed that, history shows, I'm more than a skosh absent in the month of May. Since I'm all for the boring and mundane - but not that mundane, I figured I'd mix it up and take most of June off, too.

How was it for you?

That jest isn't too far from the truth though. When I started blogging, I made only three commitments to myself. One: Always tell the truth as best you know it in the moment of writing. (True for all writers, I'll point out). Two: Always be a wordsmith: if you cannot write it well, don't write it (for now) at all. (Here's to hoping you've found that to - er, mostly - be the case). And three: Never make it an obligation. You'll just stop writing it altogether.

Which lands us near July with me typing this to tell you it's not that you don't matter - it's that you mattered too much (there's #1) to leave you stuck with frantic drivel leftover from the battering ram called my life (#2), never mind how much that drivel would have been contrived from just another "must do" rather than "want to".

But what a May and (almost) June it's been! I'm the mom of a now 6th and 3rd grader. Judd starts preschool in the fall. I finished another semester of teaching with only two fails. Hey, you no come, you no pass. Craig and I got some great butt workouts sitting through an array of piano recitals, soccer matches, award ceremonies, and even a graduation. (Parents of school-aged kiddos - Cheeks Unite!) I'm a year older, and I'm four pounds lighter. Of pounds, that is. Not brain cells. But, then again, that may be debatable as I daily fail to recall the simplest bits of data once so readily recalled. Perhaps I should fire that little runner who lives inside my brain, darting through its alleyways to retrieve any given request.

Nah.
He's probably related to that sketchy elf.

And anyways...One axe a month is enough, methinks.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! My favorite wordsmith is back, I have been missing her!

    ReplyDelete