Thursday, November 3, 2011

In The Last 365

Today is our son, Elijah's, 8th birthday. 
8 (!).

It's hard to believe - and even harder to imagine I'll be making that same statement for the next, oh...say....every year until I die.

In 2009, I wrote a post entitled "The Story of Elijah" that tells you everything you need to know about the quality of this gem we get to call son. And, truth be told, I could write a similar entry for every year we get to have him. But, this year more than ever, I've seen our little man grow. Change. Become more of his best while shedding his worst. 

In so many ways, Elijah is my hardest child - the one I struggle to understand the most, usually because he's the child I'm like the least. Yet, he's also the child who's taught me the most about my own best...and worst...and inspired me to tip my own scales in the same way he's tipping his. He makes me laugh just by laughing himself. And it is he, more than any other worldly influence the last 365, who has awakened me to the joys of living each moment - in that moment - as a singularly delicious "just as it is". 

I've looked before at my first-born son and seen possibility; glorious potential; a promise of greatness to come. Then, somewhere along the way, I cleared my lens to see the presence of glorious potential, the arrival of promises once to come...and he is beautiful.

And that's just in the last 365.
See for yourself.

Happy Birthday, sweet boy.












No comments:

Post a Comment