Friday, January 14, 2011

Reverse That


If I could control pain - its measure, its type, its center of impact - I'd know the remedy for it. And, so it follows, if I knew it's remedy, then I'd surely impart the cure.

But I cannot control pain. Not its measure. Nor its type. Definitely not its center of impact. I've no remedy.

But I do share a thought, one that left me thinking how often we might consider pain in this light, within these priorities, and then flippantly (and probably with a snort of disgust) quip, "Reverse that."

But consider the byzantine reflections of one C.S. Lewis:


"[...I offer] my readers my conviction that when pain is to be borne, a
little courage helps more than knowledge, a little human sympathy more
than courage, and the least tincture of the love of God more than all."
~ The Problem of Pain

So you see, if you've thought all along that the response to pain is first a stroke of courage, then a mighty dose of human sympathy, and (last and probably least) a skosh of God's love...well, perhaps we might all consider again.

And reverse that.

No comments:

Post a Comment